Saturday 12 October 2013

Exploring In The Woods

Hey everyone!

I'm back again for my weekly learning journal entry for my foundation course and for the next two weeks I will be exploring the world of Media. After my disastrous two weeks in Design I will see how Media works for me.

I don't quite know what to expect but I'll see what happens. 



Monday 7th of October 2013 

A a tutor talked us through the brief and displayed some artists' work. We were asked to choose a specific location to explore for the project and also select an area of investigation. The areas of investigation include:
  • People 
  • Place
  • Time
  • Movement
From these Time appeals to me the most. I am also interested in working with a narrative format as sometimes Illustration incorporates a story line and also a a sequence of actions- I figured this would go well together with the aspect of time. From here I just need to look further into artists' work and see how they might  help inspire my work for the two week Media project.


Wednesday 9th of October 2013


After a field trip we had in the morning in the woods near the campus, we were told to go to our chosen location. Mine was the New Forest and there I began taking still photographs and played around on the continuous shutter so that the camera took a series of images in sequence. 






I think the most successful shots were the sequential ones as I like how movement is shown from one image to the next. One idea might be to show this in a stop motion video format and experiment with the images further.

I feel that an improvement that I would need to make is to capture a variety of different shots and include some low-angled viewpoints,  also to capture video as I have not worked within this format before. 

We were also asked to make a blog to upload and showcase the media work. But, seeing as this is already my personal blog, also including my learning journal entries for the course I figured I would create a separate blog for my media work (it probably will just be a temporary blog just for this part of the course). This is just so that I don't get confused between them. If you want to see some of my media work just click here.



Friday 11th of October 2013

Friday involved experimenting with the photographs. There were quite a few materials on hand and I experimented by stitching onto the images, collage and applying bleach. 




To be honest I had no clue what I was actually doing at this stage, just testing things out. 


Next week I need to consider what ideas I should take forward in order for my project to progress. Other than that, I also need to organise my own time to work on my sketchbook as the Media project finishes next week on Thursday. Taking more photographs would also be beneficial to showcase a variety of images. 

So far I am finding Media quite strange as I am in an unfamiliar environment but I enjoyed having to go off on location to take my own photographs.To make my work more personal I should also think about incorporating some elements of illustration, (perhaps playing around with my own drawings with the media work) seeing as this is an interest of mine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment