Sunday 22 March 2015

Making A Start

I have made a start on planning out my narrative, but at the moment it still feels a bit 'abstract'- it just needs that little bit more development for the story to feel right and fit together.

I found this lovely concertina book in the library and I got really inspired from it. I don't know if I might be able to create a completely cut-out book, but I certainly want my book to be interactive and have a different dimension than the traditional children's book. 


Some more character sketches and thumbnailing- I find this one of the most tedious parts when creating a children's book/ narrative, as it gets a bit repetitive!



Here, I took a break from writing and thumbnailing and decided to draw from observation in my room. I have quite a few ideas in regards to the plot line, and so by doing this it gave me some more ideas and inspiration for the narrative. Perhaps my main character could have a tedious daily routine that he performs daily and has a fear of being outside his comfort zone. Or something along those lines. 


I would like to make a hand-made children's book this time and below I've tried experimenting with ways of making my work interactive, like opening doors to reveal hidden surprises. Maybe my character could have a fear of something?



I loved using the photocopier in the last project so I've been starting to use it again. I have started experimenting with different media, especially watercolour which I haven't used in a while...it feels really refreshing using it again!








On Friday we got set a new short brief alongside our main project, designing a wrap design and mural for the smart car. 










Here's one of my first initial designs, wanting to keep it quite bold and simple. I've got until Wednesday to submit some more designs so I will be developing more of these. 


Also on Friday after the smart car brief launch, there was a lecture by Dr. Stephanie Black which I found so inspiring! She basically talked about her work and how she deals with different projects, explaining her process and working method. I always find it so exciting finding out how other illustrators work and think, gaining another insight into their professional practice. 

Within the lecture she asked us to draw a person, a dog, a car and a house without thinking about it too much, giving us only a couple of seconds to draw out these things. 
Embarrassingly, here was mine:

After we all finished with our drawings, Stephanie asked us to display our sketchbooks in the front of the lecture room. In general, mostly everyone's looked quite similar. This was because Black suggested that we grew up with these images, recycling what has been put online or elsewhere- for example houses with a triangular roof and chimney. She noted that wasn't really much of a diversity, but most importantly she said that as illustrators that we should push the boundaries and challenge preconceived perceptions.


Here were just a couple of things I thought were important and inspirational  that I found from her lecture:
  • Remove the idea of the known outcome- just start creating.

  • Black creates her own sketchbooks- she recycles old photocopies and paints on old books to make sure she doesn't start on a 'blank page'. (Will be good to try this out in further projects!)

  • Even if you don't know what you're doing, just play around until you develop your ideas.
  • Ask questions whilst drawing- always ask 'What if...?'

  • Stick things on the wall to get an overview of your work. Here you might find repetitive themes or interesting narratives when images are put together.
  • Creating something 3D can often attract attention. 
  • Work with what you've got and be resourceful. 
  • Be open minded because illustration is broadening. 


Another productive week! Next week I will try to make my story line more prominent and develop my ideas further. This means more thumbnails and dummy books, also playing around with different materials. 

Still got a long way to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment